On Samsung Galaxy 2, mp3 files stored on the SD card are not being recognized by Google Play Music app. Solution.
I tried some ideas found on Android forums, even uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Nothing worked.
BTW, There is some weird caching that is not shown in the system. Anyway, this is what I did:
- I copied everything on the sd card to a a folder on a Kies Air attached PC.
- Deleted the files from the sd card.
- Powered down the phone.
- Turned it back on.
- Ran the Play Music app.
- It said there is no music on device.
- Copied all the music from the folder on the PC (from step 1).
- Powered down and back up.
- Ran the app again.
- Says it is scanning for media.
- Finds it.
- Give the phone back to it’s owner. Yuck.
All the steps are probably not necessary, but this worked for me.
March 2, 2013: It started happening again. Maybe its time to update to Android’s Ice Cream Sandwich version.