How I set up a new VirtualBox VM running Ubuntu that could be reached from the local network.
I first used the Bridged Network setup, which did not work. This is on VirtualBox 4.1.4. I have other VB vms where the Bridged Networking does work. hmm.
On this VM I changed networking to:
– NAT. Network Address Translation.
– Defined a Port Forward rule (via Virtual Box GUI). Ports on hosting PC get mapped to the VM guest. For example, 22.
– Made sure the Windows 7 Firewall allowed the external port.
– Defined a port forwarding at my network provider.
– Defined a port forward at my local router.
At least, that is what I think I did. In the turmoil of getting things to work, research what others tried, and then success, it is hard to get the actual process just right.
Saved, then waited; takes a while for everything to percolate through the network. Opened the URL and voila, I have access!
That was not easy! Where is that button?
Bill Evans Trio – Waltz for Debby [Take 2]